Qt 5.12.8 for Focal

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 11 18:20:39 UTC 2020

Hi again!

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 05:12:29PM +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> Dear Release team,
>
> Until a couple of weeks ago, we planned to update Qt to 5.14.2 for Focal.
> But then 5.14.2 was delayed, and some doubts were raised about its stability,
> so we changed our plan and decided to ship 5.12.8 instead.
>
> 5.12.8 is the latest release in 5.12 LTS series. Since 5.12.5 (the version
> currently in Focal), the 5.12 branch has entered 'strict' phase, so it
> receives only the selected important bug and security fixes [1]. In
> particular, a lot of CVEs were fixed in Qt WebEngine.
>
> 5.12.8 was released two days ago, so I have just spent two days preparing it
> in a PPA [2].
>
> As with every Qt release, we need to rebuild all reverse dependencies that
> use the private API (otherwise there would be a runtime error about versions
> mismatch).
>
> We will prepare all needed rebuilds in the PPA mentioned above, and we are
> going to publish it in a few days. Hopefully that happens around Monday so
> we still have a couple of days to let it migrate before the Final Freeze.

Follow up: we managed to finish it a bit faster than I expected, and published
it a few minutes ago. Some packages are already in the archive, but most of
them are in the unapproved queue.

As part of this work, I fixed gammaray FTBFS, and I will fix hedgewars FTBFS
once the Qt packages land in proposed.

--
Dmitry Shachnev