Request to reset src:mariadb-10.1 to previous known working state in Ubuntu archives

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 16 11:17:16 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 09:43:35AM +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> I have owned several pre-installed Ubuntu laptops and all of them come
> with their custom repositories pre-installed in
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, which install custom versions of Linux
> modules or whatever that are absolute requirements for those laptops
> to fully work. There is no notion of "beta quality" or "risk" there.
> When you for example browse Docker or LXC images they categorically
> use 3rd party repositories to provide users with selected newer
> software. I know there are _at least_ thousands of users who are
> running in production Ubuntu version X plus newer releases of the LAMP
> stack components. All of those 3rd party repos are production quality
> and users most probably don't view them as a "risk" and a bad thing
> they should not be using. Telling them that if they get hurt it is
> their own fault is something I don't feel is the right thing to do. I

It's not their own fault certainly, because as you point out many guides
out there in the community advise this. It is the fault of the community
perhaps for allowing this to have become the status quo.

Nevertheless, this is how it is. Third party repositories are
effectively a hack upon apt's design. This is why it is preferable to
use a distribution's archive over a third party apt repository.

The risk is substantially mitigated just by third party repositories
"keeping up" with changes in the distribution though. The particular
problem we are facing today can be completely eliminated by a well
maintained third party repository.

> their own fault is something I don't feel is the right thing to do. I
> am now being told that the error has happened, and I and the rest of
> the world just needs to "deal with it", but I find that mentally very
> hard.

Unfortunately this decision was made for you at the time the epoch bump
was signed and uploaded.

Robie