Emoji font installed for all desktop flavors?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 7 06:32:17 UTC 2018

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 01:41:08PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> fonts-symbola is part of the desktop-common seed which means that is
> installed for every Ubuntu desktop flavor (Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.). It
> looks like the only reason it was added was for basic black & white
> emoji support.

> Ubuntu 18.04 introduces color emoji support which works in most
> non-browser GTK apps.

> Ubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, and Ubuntu MATE already include fonts-noto-color-emoji.

> I'd like to remove fonts-symbola from desktop-common.
> Can I add fonts-noto-color-emoji to desktop-common?

> There are more details at https://launchpad.net/bugs/1746310

Is this question perhaps better suited to ubuntu-devel?  Or as a poll of the
individual desktop flavors that will be affected?

I don't expect the Release Team per se to have any objections to this.

I think it's self-evidently correct to remove fonts-symbola from
desktop-common.  The only question is whether to replace it in
desktop-common with fonts-noto-color-emoji, or to move fonts-symbola to the
per-flavor desktop seeds that aren't using fonts-noto-color-emoji currently;
and that is something that should be decided in consultation with the
flavors.

Since there is a ~4MiB install size increase with this change, and it
appears that Qt-based desktops will get no benefit from the change, the
flavors should definitely have a say.

Cheers,