Emoji font installed for all desktop flavors?

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 5 18:41:08 UTC 2018

Hi,

fonts-symbola is part of the desktop-common seed which means that is
installed for every Ubuntu desktop flavor (Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.). It
looks like the only reason it was added was for basic black & white
emoji support.

Ubuntu 18.04 introduces color emoji support which works in most
non-browser GTK apps.

Ubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, and Ubuntu MATE already include fonts-noto-color-emoji.

I'd like to remove fonts-symbola from desktop-common.
Can I add fonts-noto-color-emoji to desktop-common?

There are more details at https://launchpad.net/bugs/1746310

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha