Re-evaluating Ubuntu's Milestones

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 9 08:30:58 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Sonntag, den 08.04.2018, 20:46 -0500 schrieb Simon Quigley:
> If we do e.g. Alpha 1 as a community, these images are frozen in time
> and are said to be "safe to install" when in reality, further
> bugfixes
> can be spun in the daily ISO less than 24 hours later

well, apart from actual installer fixes, your users should get all
these fixes through package updates anyway ...

One thing that the other pro/con responses did not cover yet but that
should not be underestimated is the promotional aspect of milestones

You typically get press coverage for such pre-releases and will likely
attract more testers.

The install process is the place where you hit the corner-case hardware
setups first, a press-announced milestone might make people test it
that would typically only run into issues when they pick the release
image where you do not have any chance any more to re-spin.

ciao
	oli