Proposed pocket racing uninstallability and SRU verification around release time

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 20 09:58:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 06:02:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The only complication I'm aware of is that we absolutely must have different
> apt preferences behavior for chroots - such as buildd chroots - than for end
> user systems; but that should be solvable by using a preferences.d file
> shipped in the right package.  Probably either software-properties-common or
> ubuntu-release-upgrader-core?

That's backwards.  If you want the default to be safe, and the exception to
be the wild west, we should configure it *just* like backports.  NotAutomatic
on the server side, no surprises for people without the right apt preferences
bits in place.

The buildd chroots already carry a pin for backports to reverse the effect of
NotAutomatic, and could as easily do so for proposed, if there was consensus
that this behaviour change is the Way and the Light.

... Adam