Dropping gnome-maps from Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 14 15:18:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

MapQuest stopped providing the free map tile service that the GNOME
Maps app depends on, which broke the maps app everywhere. See
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1602035 for more information.

I do expect GNOME to find an alternate map tile provider but I'm
speculating that it may take weeks or maybe even months for that to
happen.

I spoke briefly with Tim Lunn (darkxst) and we'd like to remove
gnome-maps from ubuntu-gnome-desktop's recommends for xenial because
we'd rather not ship Ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 with an app that doesn't
work at all. We'll need a fast-track SRU for this since there isn't 7
days left before iso testing next week.

When I tested this change, gnome-maps was not removed from an existing install.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bicha