Plans for HTTP2 in Xenial and future SRUs

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 5 21:29:39 UTC 2016

Question for the release team: is it acceptable for us to MIR nghttp2
in xenial-updates after release?

This question follows a quick ad-hoc meeting between mdeslaur, sarnold,
teward and I[1], and applies to apache2 and nginx equally (both are in
main).

Upstream support for HTTP2 is available to build in the archive, but
currently we disable the build in both as support is considered
experimental upstream. We (security team and server team) don't want to
be pinned down into supporting these for five years if it is subject to
change in this way, as this could be unreasonably difficult to do.

However, given our release schedule, we expect that we will want to add
HTTP2 support to Xenial after Xenial's release, following the new SRU
policy.

For nginx this is just a tweak of configure flags we could do in an SRU.

For apache2 we will additionally need to MIR nghttp2. Can I confirm that
this will be OK to do post-release?

Thanks,

Robie

[1] #ubuntu-hardened.log, attached.