PowerDNS 4.0 and Xenial

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Mon Feb 8 09:30:22 UTC 2016

Hello Robie, Adam, Martin,

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:10:46 +0000 Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I'm forwarding your question to the Ubuntu Release Team to ask their
> opinion.

Thank you.

> For your second option, remember that ordinary bugfixes are absolutely
> fine to land even after feature freeze, so if your subsequent alphas,
> betas and final release contain only bugfixes, you don't need an
> exception in Ubuntu to just bump up to those releases.

The alpha 2 releases will have some feature additions and changes, but the current alpha 1 are mostly complete.

> Some questions whose answers I think would help inform any decision:
> When do you expect the final releases? What's your upstream support
> policy (EOL dates, etc) for 3.4.8 (Authoritative Server) and 3.7.3
> (Recursor), and what would they be for the new versions? And what do you
> expect to land in terms of features (rather than bugfixes) in between
> now and final release?

There is no official release schedule apart from "when it's done". However, the Authoritative Server is nearly there and the Recursor is expected soon after. We want to have 4.0 released sooner than later.

The policy for support for the latest 3.X releases (3.4 for the Authoritative Server and 3.7 for the Recursor) is that we will have security fixes and fixes for major bugs for at least 2 years.

There is no policy for 4.0 yet, but our history teaches us that we will support the current release and the previous one (so when 4.1 comes out, 4.0 is still supported) for at least a few years.

> As upstream your opinion carries weight on any decision in Ubuntu too,
> so what do you think would be best?

We would prefer to have 4.0 out there in the distributions as quickly as possible, so we can focus most of our effort on 4.0 and beyond.

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 16:51:42 -0700 Adam Conrad <adconrad at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> If the intent is to move from alpha to beta to final well before the
> Xenial release, then I'm happy with saying "yes, please do that".  If
> your release won't align well with ours, rolling back is probably a
> saner option, but I always prefer to explore the forward options before
> resorting to going backwards.

For the Authoritative Server, it is extremely likely we be final before the Xenial release in the end of April. For the Recursor, we will "quite possibly" be final, but could also be in the late-beta/RC state.

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:31:17 -0200 Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it have a good integration with OpenStack (specially Designate or
> something like DNSaaS)?

Designate has PowerDNS support [1]. Furthermore, in 4.0 we declared our REST API[2] stable. Which means that it should be easy to integrate with Moniker/DNSaaS.

1 - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/designate/backends/powerdns.html
2 - https://doc.powerdns.com/md/httpapi/README/

Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-release/attachments/20160208/c1d40eae/attachment.pgp>

More information about the Ubuntu-release mailing list