juju-core feature uploads during feature freeze

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 21 18:35:50 UTC 2015

Hi Robie,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 01:01:25PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> juju-core has an exception for major release updates, including new
> features, in stable releases[1].

> It seems to me that this implies that it's fine for me to also upload
> new upstream feature releases to the development release during feature
> freeze, as would make little sense to wait until after release to do it
> instead.

> So I'm going to go ahead and upload new features to juju-core as needed,
> without seeking specific individual exceptions, unless someone objects.
> We do perform the same level of testing in our process as we apply to
> SRUs anyway. For example 1.24.5 is awaiting sponsorship as soon as I get
> to it [2]. I just thought I'd point it out so that others know what's
> going on and can object if necessary.

This all sounds completely reasonable to me.  Thanks for letting us know.

At some point during the release cycle I imagine you'll want to start using
the SRU process anyway instead of pushing into release, so that you have the
added flexibility and protection of -updates in the event of regressions.  I
assume you will let us know when you get to that point, if you need to do
any uploads of juju-core in this window before the release.