OpenStack Horizon and python-xstatic* dependency SYNC's

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 16 15:35:28 UTC 2014

Hi Release Team

Firstly apologies for the volume of python-xstatic* packages that we
are requesting NEW sync's for this late in cycle - its less that ideal.

I though it worth providing some context for this noise and how we are
going to deal with it to support continued main inclusion of OpenStack
Horizon this cycle.

1) python-xstatic?

The python-xstatic* packages provide a pythonic wrap around static
assets such as CSS, JS and fonts for use in Python web applications;
prior to this release, Horizon just shipped all of this stuff embedded
in its own release tarballs - this switched a little a b2 and alot at
b3 and has caught us out a little in the Server Team.

2) Main inclusion

Right now, the xstatic packages may depend on libjs-XXX versions of
themselves and do a number of packaging hacks to make the xstatic
wrapper consume the JS library from /usr/share/javascript.

I discussed this with jdstrand in the context of the MIR work that we
still need todo and we agreed that including that many libjs-*
packages into main (and their associated build dependencies -
including nodejs) was not feasible or desirable, so once all of the
python-xstatic packages have been synced, will switch them to use the
embedded copy of the assets they wrap, rather than introducing a
further set of new dependencies into main this cycle.

This will also fixup the packages that are currently stuck in proposed
from sync's already completed.

3) The full list and status of SYNC's

python-xstatic-spin
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1370103
python-xstatic-rickshaw
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368961
python-xstatic-qunit
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368962
python-xstatic-jquery.tablesorter
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368963
python-xstatic-jquery.quicksearch
	SYNCED
python-xstatic-jquery-migrate
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1370076
python-xstatic-jquery
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1370074
python-xstatic-jquery-ui
	SYNCED (stuck in proposed)
python-xstatic-jasmine
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368964
python-xstatic-font-awesome
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1370078
python-xstatic-hogan
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368966
python-xstatic-d3
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1368968
python-xstatic-angular-mock
	SYNCED (stuck in proposed)
python-xstatic-angular-cookies
	SYNCED (stuck in proposed)
python-xstatic-angular
	SYNCED (stuck in proposed)
python-xstatic-jsencrypt
	SYNC requested - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1370096
python-xstatic-bootstrap-datepicker
	SYNCED

I'd also like to thank Thomas Goirand (zigo) for all of the packaging
work he's done on these new deps in the last week - its really helped
us out!

Hopefully that explains all the noise we are making - feel free to
ping me with any questions.

Cheers

James

- --