LTS status for Ubuntu flavours

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Feb 25 11:27:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014, at 06:00 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I think the point that Dimitri is making is that it makes no sense to say
> that UbuntuStudio will have 5 years of (community security) support, if
> it
> depends on a desktop environment that won't have security support for
> that
> same time period.  While you could decide to provide 5-year support for
> only
> the multimedia packages, I don't think we on the TB would be happy to
> sign
> off on saying UbuntuStudio as a flavor has 5-year support when the DE on
> the
> UbuntuStudio images only has 3 years of support.
>
> So I think the UbuntuStudio and Xubuntu communities should discuss this
> and
> reach an agreement on which support period to use for these shared
> components, and set their LTS support accordingly.
>

>From what I can tell, there has been no updates to any essential XFCE
package in Precise since it was released. Am I wrong?
(xfce4-weather-plugin is the only one I can find available in
precise-updated, and I don't seem to be able to find anything else
packaged past 2011).
I understand the concept of providing security support - fixing bugs -
especially if severe ones are found. And that I am prepared to do, past
the three year Xubuntu support period.

In practical terms, what would the real issue be, if Ubuntu Studio
decides to continue supporting the LTS for five years, making sure there
are new ISOS out for every point release?