[Merge] lp:~stgraber/indicator-power/revert-20130913 into lp:indicator-power

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 15 04:17:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 13:38 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 01:43:00PM -0600, Adam Conrad wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 08:58:49AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
>
> > > I understand your concern about bringing in additional packages onto the
> > > desktop image.  What I don't agree with is removing the feature from
> > > indicator-power instead of figuring out the issues with all of those
> > > packages being brought onto the image.  The issue is that
> > > liburl-dispatcher1 recommends url-dispatcher, as is customary on
> > > libraries that implement the interface of a service.
>
> > Is this actually "customary"?  In what circles?  I've actually fought
> > pretty hard in the past to *not* have libraries depend on external
> > services, daemons, and random binaries, because linking to a library
> > doesn't necessarily mean every user of your application wants to use
> > every last plugin/service/etc available to it.
>
> > I'd think a Suggests is perfectly reasonable, and explicitly seeding
> > in tasks (touch, perhaps eventually desktop) where you want that bit
> > to do something other than be a dormant library dependency.
>
> I agree.  I don't think there's anything "customary" about libraries
> recommending the service they interface with; I think that gives buggy
> semantics.  If the service is not available, the library should fail
> gracefully anyway, so if you want to ensure the service is present that
> should be handled with a higher-level dependency, *not* via a dependency
> from the library.

Hmm, okay.  I'm not against that, but it does counter my intuition about
what the various levels of dependency are.  I would describe them like
like this:

Requires: Things will break if you don't have it
Recommands: Eh, things won't break but it won't really work without this
Suggests: These are things that might be helpful as well

Is there something I'm missing here?

More importantly, let me ensure that the course of action for
indicator-power is clear.  I will change liburl-dispatcher to Suggest
url-dispatcher.  Then I will add dependency to indicator-power for
liburl-dispatcher.  That way there shouldn't be the whole click
upstart-app-launch set of dependencies pulled onto the desktop image,
and the touch seed should contain url-dispatcher.

Thanks,
Ted