[Merge] lp:~stgraber/indicator-power/revert-20130913 into lp:indicator-power

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 14 19:43:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 08:58:49AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:

> I understand your concern about bringing in additional packages onto the
> desktop image.  What I don't agree with is removing the feature from
> indicator-power instead of figuring out the issues with all of those
> packages being brought onto the image.  The issue is that
> liburl-dispatcher1 recommends url-dispatcher, as is customary on
> libraries that implement the interface of a service.

Is this actually "customary"?  In what circles?  I've actually fought
pretty hard in the past to *not* have libraries depend on external
services, daemons, and random binaries, because linking to a library
doesn't necessarily mean every user of your application wants to use
every last plugin/service/etc available to it.

I'd think a Suggests is perfectly reasonable, and explicitly seeding
in tasks (touch, perhaps eventually desktop) where you want that bit
to do something other than be a dormant library dependency.

... Adam