Beta 1

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 2 23:34:39 UTC 2013

On 09/02/2013 06:08 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> On 2 September 2013 23:38, Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:micahg at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/02/2013 05:12 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     I'd like to register that while my self and Laney have not seen
>>     eye tio eye, his attempt of building the Beta 1's for our
>>     community teams has been a complete and utter disaster.
>>     <rant>
>>      The release team are trying to pick up the pieces and manually
>>     spin ISO's. The cut off date is Thursday, we are now on Tuesday
>>     with NO stable ISO. For heavens sake, out of all the community who
>>     wanted a beta 1... lubuntu was the only one there and told it
>>     would be re-spun.
>>
>>     This is a disgraceful way to treat testers. Yes, those people who
>>     actually check systems work.
>>
>>     I can be a royal PITA for shouting up what testers let me know,
>>     but not having  a beta 1 - with no idea when it will arrive and
>>     the final; insult of the person "Laney" to vanish from the
>>     discussion explains one simple thing... He's not up to the job of
>>     being pro-active for issues that occur. Instead the -release team
>>     gathered together to do what they could.
>>
>>     Laney, in charge?!!! Where was he?
>>
>>     </end rant>
>>

>     To quote the original mail [1]:
>     "Also let us know when you would like automatic image builds
>     stopped, otherwise the assumption is Monday evening UK time."
>
>     The window from Thursday to today was meant to stabilize ISOs after
>     the freeze.  I see no evidence on this list that you wanted Beta
>     ISOs any sooner than the rest of the flavors.
>
>     Release candidates for Betas are usually available sometime on
>     Tuesday of release week as are the alphas.  The main difference with
>     beta is there are a few days to stabilize ISOs without a lot of
>     churn in the archive.   AFAIK, this has not changed in years.
>
>     Laney stopped the dailies and spun up ISOs as he said he would,
>     warned that he wouldn't be around later, and said that people can
>     respin if needed. [2]
>
>     Chastising someone for stepping away when it's late evening for them
>     [2] (close to 8PM in this case when the interaction occured, though,
>     really, it's not ok at any time).  There are polite ways to address
>     disagreements and this certainly isn't one of them.
>
>     To quote the CoC [3]:
>
>       *
>

>                 Be respectful
>
>         Disagreement is no excuse for poor manners. We work together to
>         resolve conflict, assume good intentions and do our best to act
>         in an empathic fashion. We don't allow frustration to turn into
>         a personal attack. A community where people feel uncomfortable
>         or threatened is not a productive one.
>

>     I think that a public apology is in order here.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Micah Gersten
>     Ubuntu Core Dev and Ubuntu Membership Board member
>
>     [1]
> [...]

As I said in my original mail, as far as I'm concerned, Iain met his
commitments as the person in charge of Image Engineering for Beta 1.
This does not mean he has to be the only one to spin up images or needs
to be at everyone's beck and call 24 hours a day during the Beta image
period.  It generally means that he'll spin up the first round and
during his day time take care of any necessary respins as well as
keeping and eye on things that might require respins.
The only type of handoff I can find in the CoC is the following which I
don't believe applies:

"Step down considerately

When somebody leaves or disengages from the project, we ask that they do
so in a way that minimises disruption to the project. They should tell
people they are leaving and take the proper steps to ensure that
others can pick up where they left off."

There are plenty of other people available to push buttons as needed as
well as answer any questions you might have.  One of the benefits of
being a global project is that we have people in different time zones
that can take care of things.

I don't believe any volunteer should be treated this way.  If
discussions need to happen due to someone not handling their role
properly, there are ways of doing that.  But, as I said in my original
mail, I see no evidence of that here.

Thanks,
Micah