libimobiledevice breakage

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 2 00:36:18 UTC 2013

        Hey

Trying out the imobiledevice pkgs for the first time today, I got a
bunch of segfaults apparently introduced by the libimobiledevice4
no-change rebuilds.  This is because not just the ABI but also the API
changed incompatibly, but in a way that would still build and result in
broken binaries.

The first two I've spotted were ifuse and libgpod, but other rdeps of
libimobiledevice4 would have to be reviewed.

Symptom is that I get crashes from /lib/udev/iphone-set-info when
plugging an iPad on saucy, and then from ifuse presumably when opening
nautilus.  I filed a crasher bug for /lib/udev/iphone-set-info (LP
#1219554) and uploaded a fixed ifuse, but I'm running out of time to
review + upload all the packages.

Is this worth tracking for beta1?  I'm not sure how many people use this
stuff.  Also, if others are interested in fixing, this is the list of
rdeps to review:
  nautilus-ideviceinfo
  ipheth-utils
  ideviceinstaller
  upower
  libgpod
  gvfs

best way to check is probably to grep for warnings "passing argument x
of y from incompatible pointer type", e.g. from libgpod:
    ../../../tools/ipod-lockdown.c:153:2: warning: passing argument 3 of 'lockdownd_start_service' from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]

   Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier