force-autopkgtest semantics

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 26 23:58:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 07:48:10PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> Would it be possible to support force-autopkgtest on either the package under
> test or the triggering package.  Then, for today's case, we could have done:
>
> force-autopkgtest kde-baseapps/4:4.10.80-0ubuntu1
>
> That would then skip all autopkgtests that might be triggered by the
> transition.

I would find it pretty confusing if a force-foo had different semantics,
depending on which package you applied it to.  What might be slightly
more intuitive here would be to break it into the two actual usecases:

force-badtest pango1.0/1.2.3-1       # hints that the test is broken
force-skiptest kde-baseapps/4.1.2-3  # hints that we don't want to wait

That gives us two clear and defined ways to deal with either "this
package's tests are busted, but we don't want the world to hang on
that" and "this package is urgent and we want to skip all the tests
that were triggered by it".

Opinions?

... Adam