Default Languages on Ubuntu iso for 12.10?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 12 19:22:56 UTC 2012

On 12/09/12 20:09, Kate Stewart wrote:
> Looking at the current daily images,
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
>
> Now that feature freeze is passed, we may end up having some space to
> add some additional language packs back in, since we've made the
> decision to no longer restricted to the CD size.
>
> Is this the list that's historically been used to decide which ones
> to carry?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
>
> or was other criteria involved?  (am thinking of seb's comment at UDS
> for instance ;) )

Firstly you should consider what language packs are actually available.

I can't seem to give exact link but:

1) Go to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu
2) Click "View all languages"
3) Click Status header to sort by status

There are a few considerations:
* do not duplicate languages (e.g. all the sub-different English
  locales)
* prefer bigger in size

Looks like we have:
(skip English UK)
* Spanish
(skip English AU)
* Brazilian Portuguese
* German
(skip Bosnian, not a top 100 spoken language)
* French
* Russian

... or something like that, e.g. a mixture metric between available
translations of the live-CD apps & biased list of number of native speakers

ps. however you come up with these languages make sure that russian &
french are included ;-)

--
С уважением,

Дмитрий Ледков