Nautilus crashes

Edward Donovan edward.donovan at numble.net
Mon Oct 8 04:52:24 UTC 2012

Hello all -

I don't have the LP privileges to nominate bugs, so I'm (nervously)
posting here.  In the time I spend triaging, and running Quantal
myself, I keep seeing three nautilus crashes that have had private
master bugs.  Although many developers can see them, I'm not sure if
that has contributed to their not being nominated for Quantal yet.
And I'm seeing reports from users who don't realize that the
background nautilus has crashed.  But they're getting the problems
that Unity has without nautilus (which itself is bug 952321).  So I
wonder if that, too, is masking the problems a bit.

Whether these bugs should in fact be nominated, I have to leave to
those who know the process better.  But let me note them.  Bugs
1054297 and 1053862 have just recently been made public, happily.  Bug
1054737, which I think may be the most common, is still private at the
moment.  If that could be made public, at least, it would be great.

I can't see the page to know the description there, but apport sends
me here whenever this crash happens:

  Nautilus crashed with SIGSEGV in gtk_widget_destroy
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1054737

And the now-public ones:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1054297
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1053862

As a user and triager, I'm driven a bit batty by private master bugs,
and I look forward to their demise.  Excuse me if this madness has led
me to post unnecessarily here.

Thank you!

Ed Donovan