First opt-in alpha release for Raring

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 29 21:34:08 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

According to the ReleaseSchedule, next week is alpha-1 for those
flavours that want to participate in it.

I'll be the point of contact for this release, so if you have any
question, feel free to contact me (here or in #ubuntu-release).

The first thing we need to figure out is who exactly is participating in
this release.
The Canonical supported flavours (Ubuntu
Desktop/Server/Cloud/Netboot/...) won't be participating in this
milestone as they're instead doing their cadence testing and cut down
the number of milestone releases for this cycle.

So if you are a product lead please reply to this e-mail by Monday 21:00
UTC with whether you'll be participating or not, what products and
architectures you plan on releasing and who will be your release
contact(s) for this milestone.
I'll be assuming that any product that doesn't ask for an alpha-1 by
then won't be participating.

For those products that are participating, daily builds will be turned
off at 21:00 UTC on Monday and a set of candidates built shortly after that.
There won't be any archive freeze for this milestone, however, if you
have particular concern about specific source packages, get in touch in
#ubuntu-release and we may hold those in -proposed for the duration of
the milestone process.

I'll be following the process at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MilestoneProcess
Making necessary adjustments as we go, considering that it's the first
time Ubuntu itself isn't part of a milestone.

Participating flavours will be responsible to write their own Technical
Overview and Release Notes and provide me with links by 21:00 UTC on
Wednesday so they can be added to the announcement.

As discussed at UDS, a release announcement will be sent by the release
team to the usual places with one paragraph per flavour, the links to
the various technical overviews and release notes pages and a section
explaining the change in milestones for the Canonical-supported products.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer