Timing of EOL notices

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Fri May 18 17:33:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:21:51AM -0500, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

> I forgot to mention (Micah pointed it out to me off-list) but had
> thought about the fact that people could upgrade to the next stack, so
> the 10.04 LTS users could have gone to the 11.04 backport for the time
> between when 10.10 was EOL and 12.04 LTS released. However, I would
> argue this is not ideal as it requires users to go through the pain of a
> kernel transition prior to upgrading to the next LTS (which could
> involve significant QA for enterprises) (ie 10.04 with 10.10 backport ->
> 10.04 with 11.04 backport -> 12.04 when all they really need it 10.04
> with 10.10 backport -> 12.04). Obviously for people who want to stay on
> the LTS with the backported stack, they should just go to the next one
> (11.04 stack on 10.04 LTS in this example).

In the UDS discussions around this, it was pointed out that we don't
recommend LTS->LTS upgrades until the first point release, which means that
for 12.04 w/ 12.10 backport, you don't get offered an LTS upgrade until a
full three months after 12.10 EOL.  So the expected upgrade path will be
12.04 w/ 12.10 backport -> 12.04 w/ 14.04 backport -> 14.04; users will have
to do the upgrade in two steps, but at least there will only be one kernel
upgrade to deal with.