[Foundations] Release Meeting 2012-03-09

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 9 13:24:47 UTC 2012

http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-foundations.html

== What was done engineering wise? ==

 * Boot:
  * Worked on fixes for bug 940290 ("console log consumes fds upon job
    restart/respawn") and bug 936667 ("Upstart early job logging causes
    boot failure for systems with no initramfs (error is "No available
    ptys")").  Pending review.
  * Dramatically reduced GRUB's loading times for the kernel and initrd
    on EFI platforms.

 * ARM:
  * Corrected fixrtc to only update the RTC if the last mount time is
    actually in the future.
  * Fixed sound on ac100 netbooks to work by default.

 * Package management:
  * Working on bug 901638 ("Remove iodbc2 (causes upgrade failure from
    Oneiric to Precise)"); build-time testing confirmed, but could use
    verification from Kubuntu folks that it still actually works.
  * Sorted out most of the remaining dpkg-maintscript-helper upgrade
    bugs, although new ones keep popping up.  Only lightdm-gtk-greeter
    currently remains.

 * Networking:
  * Converted isc-dhcp to upstart and made it support IPv4/IPv6 by
    default.
  * Fixed a couple of biosdevname-related problems (bug 948546, bug
    948559).

 * Installer:
  * Lots more reactive bug work on ubiquity.
  * Discussions on the future of Wubi.  We're considering simplifying
    this down to the network install mode only for 12.04, to reduce the
    probability of needing to do late respins for Wubi.

 * Defect analysis:
  * Created a bug heat chart that compares packages we maintain
    (http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/foundations-bugs/foundations-bugs-packages-hottest-bugs.html).

 * Toolchain:
  * GCC 4.6.3.
  * IcedTea-Web 1.2.

== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ==

Final Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 releases (we already had up to 20120216 on
the respective branches).

== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ==

Nothing that will surprise anyone; rls-p-tracking is a decent list, at
this point mostly install and upgrade work and the odd Upstart
regression.

== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items ==

In order to finish fixing dpkg-maintscript-helper upgrade bugs, we need
the projected repackaging of lightdm-gtk-greeter to be completed.  I
understand that Micah Gersten was working on this, but this seems to
have taken several weeks; what's the status?