[Foundations] Release Meeting 2012-01-20

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 20 11:54:54 UTC 2012

http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-foundations.html

=== What was done engineering wise? ===

 * Defect analysis:
  * Updated apport linux hook to not ask about kerneloops.org.
  * Enabled kerneloops for precise.
  * Updated update-manager apport hook to include recent Aptdaemon
    messages from syslog.

 * Release engineering:
  * Fixed Launchpad bug that caused accidental auto-sync of a few
    packages from unstable/experimental.
  * Added timestamps to live filesystem builds.  Minor optimisations.
  * Add per-bug reports to testing tracker.

 * Python:
  * Ported germinate, lazr.uri (assistance), and wadllib to Python 3.
  * Packaged six to make Python 3 ports easier.
  * Made progress on porting python-debian to Python 3.
  * Finished dbus-python port to Python 3.
  * Packaged feedparser 5.1 with Python 3 support.

 * Crash database:
  * Progress on hardware requirements with IS; now pending hardware
    acquisition.
  * Privilege dropping in client.
  * Further work on crash UI design.
  * Improved network connectivity check.

 * Boot:
  * Working on getting lp:upstart building daily.
  * Started to write a script to autogenerate a comprehensive set of
    test Upstart jobs.
  * Working to resolve failing unit tests for bug 912558.

 * Networking:
  * dnsmasq and IPv6 privacy extensions are now turned on by default for
    everyone.
  * VLAN fix in bridge-utils.

=== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ===

Nothing in particular.

=== Release Notes ===

None for now.

=== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ===

Alpha-2 rls-mgr-p-tracking bugs:
 * Bug:850264 ''[given a foreign architecture of i386 on amd64 machine,
   and an outdated libc, apt tries to remove libc-bin]'': Currently
   blocked on deciding what to do about libept's versioning.
 * Bug:874774 ''[could not mount /dev/mapper/cryptswap1]'': Patch in bug
   currently believed to be for an unrelated issue.

=== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items? ===

None.

=== Issues? ===

 * Please can something be done about the reliability and frequency of
   the QA reports (particularly
   http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/kernel-bugs/reports/rls-mgr-p-tracking-bugs.html)?
   About half the time I look at it it's broken in some way, and it's
   often half a day or more out of date.  This makes it hard for me to
   use it routinely as a primary guide to what my team needs to be
   doing (so I may well be missing bugs above).

 * The koffice to calligra switch has been a bit rough and is
   persistently showing up on
   http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/testing/precise_probs.html;
   is the Kubuntu team on top of this?