[QA] Release Meeting 2012-02-10

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 10 18:46:30 UTC 2012

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 03:15:21PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
>  * precise-upgrade-oneiric-main
> 508083	cron crashed with SIGSEGV in __pthread_initialize_minimal_internal()

The timing of this (old) bug's appearance is very suggestive of a problem
related to the eglibc 2.15 upgrade.  cron is one of the services that's
required to be restarted for eglibc upgrades due to use of NSS, and this
should already have been done automatically.  I had a look at the term log,
and see this output:

<snip>
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...
WARNING: init script for samba not found.

Restarting services possibly affected by the upgrade:
  vsftpd: restarting...done.
  spamassassin: restarting...done.
  ssh: restarting...done.
  snmpd: restarting...done.
  slapd: restarting...done.
  saslauthd: restarting...done.
  rsync: restarting...done.
  mysql: restarting...done.
  dovecot: restarting...done.
  exim4: restarting...done.
  cups: restarting...done.
  cron: restarting...done.
  atd: restarting...done.
  autofs: restarting...done.
  apache2: restarting...done.

Services restarted successfully.
<snip>

So cron should have already been restarted as part of the upgrade, but
there's an arbitrary window between libc6 unpacking and crond being
restarted.  Either we should stop cron from the libc6 preinst (since we know
it's not going to run right), or we should somehow suppress these crash
reports during the upgrade.

Is there a good way to suppress this particular crash report?