Uploading Forks of Ubuntu Packages to Extras

Niels Thykier niels at thykier.net
Fri Dec 28 19:21:39 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-28 19:18, Allison Randal wrote:
> CC'ing Niels for coordination with Debian.

Thanks for the heads up.

As Scott wrote (in a separate mail), there is currently not an issue in
Debian experimental.  lintian4python/0.11 is the first to support the
Lintian 2.5.11 API[1]+[2].

> [...]
>>> The version currently in quantal-updates: 2.5.10.2ubuntu2.1
>>> The version currently in raring: 2.5.10.2ubuntu3
>>> The version currently in raring-proposed: 2.5.11ubuntu1
>>>
>>> Because of the version number, we'll need to upload something to raring
>>> that's >= 2.5.11ubuntu12 or we won't have a clean upgrade path from
>>> 12.10 to 13.04.
>>
>> Obviously meant >= 2.5.11ubuntu13
>> (to keep a somewhat "clean" version number)
>
> Niels, what are the chances that the experimental version of the package
> with additional lintian checks will make it into Debian unstable in the
> next few months (after resolving the problems with lintian4python)? Will
> we be looking at a 2.5.12 version of lintian?
>
> Allison

My current plans are to wait for the Debian release before uploading the
new 2.5.11+ versions to unstable[3].  So the chances are directly
proportional with whether or not Debian releases Wheezy in the "next few
months".
  That said, pulling Lintian/2.5.11 and lintian4python/0.11 for raring
should work just fine.  As far as I can tell, both packages (at those
versions) are already in raring-proposed

I am currently not looking at undoing the API changes of 2.5.11 in a
2.5.12.  Though I suppose I could dig around and find a couple of
patches you could apply to the 2.5.11 version in your "quantal-extra" to
make it "compatible enough"[4], if you would prefer that solution.

~Niels

[1]
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lintian4python/news/20121212T151818Z.html

[2]
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lintian4python/news/20121214T220232Z.html

[3] So far I have cherry-picked enough fixes for the 2.5.10 series to do
3 upload post freeze; while I hope "the 3rd is a charm" and all that, I
may have to do a fourth.

[4] Mind you, there are a few cases were I cannot provide both APIs at
the same time.  The only case I am aware of is lintian4python's
"extension-with-soname" tag, which will always trigger and cause a
false-positive.  This could be fixed with a lintian4python side patch,
but still...