Uploading Forks of Ubuntu Packages to Extras

Allison Randal allison at allisonrandal.net
Fri Dec 28 18:18:57 UTC 2012

CC'ing Niels for coordination with Debian.

On 12/28/2012 10:02 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:

>> The package has now been removed from the archive and should disappear
>> from the mirror pretty soon.
>>
>> The problem is with people who already upgraded to it as it's been
>> reported to causing breaks of at least lintian4python.
>>
>> Once we're sure the package is completely gone from the
>> extras.ubuntu.com mirrors, we should issue an e-mail to
>> ubuntu-devel-announce (at Scott's suggestion), telling people to
>> "downgrade" to the archive version using "apt-get install
>> lintian/quantal-updates".
>>
>> We'll also need to ensure that raring will have an higher version number
>> by release time.
>>
>> The version uploaded to extras was: 2.5.11ubuntu12.10.1

Is that what was uploaded? It should have been -0extras12.10.1 rather
than ubuntu<anything> (this was designed by the TB as a safety
precaution, so Ubuntu/Debian packages of the same upstream version would
always have precedence over extras packages). So, a further bug, but
probably because the package was never intended to actually be released
to extras.

>> The version currently in quantal-updates: 2.5.10.2ubuntu2.1
>> The version currently in raring: 2.5.10.2ubuntu3
>> The version currently in raring-proposed: 2.5.11ubuntu1
>>
>> Because of the version number, we'll need to upload something to raring
>> that's >= 2.5.11ubuntu12 or we won't have a clean upgrade path from
>> 12.10 to 13.04.
>
> Obviously meant >= 2.5.11ubuntu13
> (to keep a somewhat "clean" version number)

Niels, what are the chances that the experimental version of the package
with additional lintian checks will make it into Debian unstable in the
next few months (after resolving the problems with lintian4python)? Will
we be looking at a 2.5.12 version of lintian?

Allison