Uploading Forks of Ubuntu Packages to Extras

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 28 18:00:31 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 06:53 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> I believe this was an honest mistake. If you follow the discussion on
> the ARB list, starting at:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-November/002569.html
>
> The intention was that the patched version of lintian (currently in
> Debian experimental) would be uploaded to the
> ~ubuntu-app-review-contributors PPA, which does *not* get copied to the
> extras archive. Instead, it was accidentally uploaded to the
> ~app-review-board PPA, which is automatically launched into extras. This
> is a violation of ARB policy, and needs to be fixed.
>
> So, how do we undo it?
>
> Allison

The package has now been removed from the archive and should disappear
from the mirror pretty soon.

The problem is with people who already upgraded to it as it's been
reported to causing breaks of at least lintian4python.

Once we're sure the package is completely gone from the
extras.ubuntu.com mirrors, we should issue an e-mail to
ubuntu-devel-announce (at Scott's suggestion), telling people to
"downgrade" to the archive version using "apt-get install
lintian/quantal-updates".

We'll also need to ensure that raring will have an higher version number
by release time.

The version uploaded to extras was: 2.5.11ubuntu12.10.1
The version currently in quantal-updates: 2.5.10.2ubuntu2.1
The version currently in raring: 2.5.10.2ubuntu3
The version currently in raring-proposed: 2.5.11ubuntu1

Because of the version number, we'll need to upload something to raring
that's >= 2.5.11ubuntu12 or we won't have a clean upgrade path from
12.10 to 13.04.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer