Uploading Forks of Ubuntu Packages to Extras

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 28 17:44:37 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 06:37 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> The existence of
> http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/lintian/lintian_2.5.11ubuntu12.10.1.dsc
> was recently mentioned #ubuntu-devel.  This seems to be in direct
> contradiction of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Review/Guidelines - in
> particular "Apps should not be forks or updates of existing applications in
> the Ubuntu archive (main/universe/etc). ".
>
> Who was this discussed with outside the ARB before it was uploaded?   As it
> stands, lintian will be upgraded to this version in any quantal system where
> extras has not been disabled, so it has potential to affect developers that
> have no relation to extras or the ARB.
>
> Scott K

I can't remember seeing any discussion about this and it's a clear
violation of what was approved by the Technical Board in regard to the
extras repository.

I've removed the lintian package from the ARB PPA and that removal
should be propagated to the extras archive in the next hour or so.

I'd appreciate if someone from the ARB could explain what was the
reasoning behind this upload so that we can make sure whatever problem
it was trying to address indeed gets addressed but without causing
problem with the main archive.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer