Release Process concerns (QA) and suggestions

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 31 05:45:04 UTC 2012

Scott Kitterman [2012-08-30 16:25 -0400]:
> If we try and be too specific about criteria then we're going to get rules
> lawyers complaining we didn't follow the criteria rather than applying common
> sense.  I see this happening with Feature Freeze exceptions, so I'm not
> concerned about this at random.
>
> As long as it's general guidelines to give a broad expectation about what's
> likely to happen, I think it's fine.

I agree. Stephane put it rather well in his reply. Any bug which
causes the iso to not work at all (oversize, does not boot, installer
crashes for a large number of people) or that has a bug which cannot
be fixed with an upgrade (i. e. system does not boot or does not get
network) needs a respin; I guess those are not challenged by anyone.

However, as you said we might always have these bugs which technically
could be fixed with an upgrade but are absurdly ugly, and perhaps even
trivial to fix as well -- the release team should have the discrection
and responsibility to respin on those as well; from my time at the
release team I cannot remember a late respin that we did not clear
with QA before.

Martin