Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 10:45:13 UTC 2012

Evan Dandrea [2012-08-20 10:19 +0100]:
> I think the less people we have working on a point release, the more
> valuable accurate data becomes.

Accurate, yes. But it becomes less useful, as the ratio of "user
annoyance" vs. "actual bug fixing" becomes a lot higher.

> > So perhaps one possible compromise would be to only show crashes for
> > packages in -proposed and -updates? This would limit the reports to
> > the set of packages that we are still actively working on and would
> > retain the whoopsie funcionality for pending SRUs, but would silence
> > it for the vast majority of packages which we don't fix any more in
> > precise anyway.
>

> I think this assumes that only packages we've just updated meet the
> threshold for further fixes. Each point release will bring large numbers of
> new users to the operating system, who's behavior may differ greatly from
> the existing people feeding crashes into http://errors.ubuntu.com.

Hence "compromise". :-)

> I do appreciate the effort to find a compromise though. We did ultimately
> decide to keep error reporting on for 12.04.1

OK, understood.

> I still don't understand why we're not fixing these applications.

It's not that we don't want to, but fixing these issues has never made
it to the top of the priority list. There are always bigger fish to
fry, and except for the apport/resulting confusion aspect, they are
really quite irrelevant.

> I worry this is just going to let us ignore the problem.

We don't say "we do not want to fix this", it's a matter of
prioritization of limited resources. :-)

Thanks,

Martin