Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Evan Dandrea ev at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 09:46:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Dylan McCall [2012-08-06 10:49 -0700]:
> > I don't run a computer lab, but I did upgrade someone's computer to
> > Ubuntu 12.04. A few days later, I felt like a total jerk as I stepped
> > him through disabling error popups using terminal commands.
>
> Admittedly I have done this to the Ubuntu box of my sister as well
> after she called me about all those popups (although I have ssh
> access, so it was a lot easier for me to disable it myself). First,
> she does not have any clue about computers and the unexpected popups
> confuse her, and second she only has a rather limited 3G connection
> and really shouldn't upload Jigabytes of crash dumps without her
> knowledge.

And we do not. Whoopsie only uploads reports when it can detect a non-3G
connection. It does this using a combination of GNetworkMonitor and
NetworkManager's DBus API.

> I felt bad when doing it, but after all she wants to use her computer,
> not spend her time with crash reports.
>
> For computer labs I expect that apport will be turned off wholesale
> anyway. There are enough HowTos in the interwebs to tell people how to
> do it, and with proxies/firewalls/or simply company policies about
> secrecy/privacy being around, we probably won't hear about many
> problems anyway.

There are very large tech companies that have expressed a desire to have
this on, but reporting to a server behind their firewall. They would then
forward issues up to us selectively. We do not have the resources for
implementing this in the near term, but I thought it worth mentioning.