Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 06:41:41 UTC 2012

Matthew Paul Thomas [2012-08-07 10:47 +0100]:
> But optimizing purely for the number of error prompts is the wrong
> goal.

I don't think that this is being done here. I would just like to
suppress dialogs which are irrelevant for the user, and which are
unlikely to ever get fixed in a stable release anyway (cf. crashes
during logout, the rather large subset of daemon/python thread crashes
which do not affect the UI, etc.). Because those won't ever go away,
are a nuisance for the user, and don't help anyone.

> We then have a choice between explaining what went wrong, or leaving
> it a mystery.

In many cases the popup itself _is_ the mystery, though :-(

I'm not arguing against showing the popup for applications which just
crashed in the user's session. Those are fine, and as I said in
LP#1033471 I think it's totally fine to turn off rate-limiting for
this case.

Thanks,

Martin