[Desktop] Release Meeting 2012-08-17

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 16 21:48:27 UTC 2012

=== What was done engineering wise? ===

* Updated system-config-printer to 1.3.11, there will be no transition
to Python3 in Quantal
* Updated Ghostscript to 9.06 final.
* Removed fontconfig-voodoo hacks and calls to the script from
language-selector. Test packages are in
https://launchpad.net/~laney/+archive/experimental — please give them a
go. l-s itself still ships most of the fontconfig files apart from the
georgian ones, as the rest have to be split up and separated out into a
variety of other font packages. That's work for the second iteration.
* Quickly reboot continued: good public hangout on air and discussion on
the future and Quickly. Discussion with the community teams about new
processes. Wrote some summary the hangouts:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly/Reboot
* Started some Quickly merge reviews as well
* Released the NetworkManager 0.9.6.0 stack to an unsuspecting world
* Debugged a major issue in a potential SRU patch for NM in Precise with
stgraber; re using DBUS with dnsmasq
* Fixed up dnsmasq to support specifying a custom DBus name to use on
startup
* Fixed some issues with Bluez starting PAN/DUN connections, and some
bluetooth audio potential issues
* A new developer package, pbuilder-scripts, landed in precise for those
that still use pbuilder. This is a collection of helper scripts to make
working with many simultaneous chroots easier. I wrote this for OEM back
in the day.
* After much testing, pulseaudio 2.1 is in quantal.
* Found a bug where the volume wasn't being saved on shutdown/restart.
Turns out I missed changing the path to alsactl in the upstart files
when I merged alsa-utils, so fixed this up. THis was only noticed when
one changed the volume, and found that the volume wasn't saved at next
reboot.
* Started debugging some weirdness with the at-spi stack, where Orca
will work properly on first login, but won't read anything on subsequent
restarts.
* Unity 6.2 stack landed into quantal (unity, dee, bamf,
unity-lens-applications, unity-lens-music, unity-lens-files, nux) \o/
* Some continued work in gsettings for compiz and unity. Still wait on a
branch for compiz gsettings <-> g-c-c integration
* Work to prepare all unity-2d removal and compiz/unity transition to
gsettings on multiple components (11 components are involved into the
transition).
* As the gsettings compiz is still not ready and the schedule is tight,
we will decouple the transition in two phases (slightly more work for
us, but manageable): remove unity-2d first, and then gconf -> gsettings
transition.
* Getting xorg patches reviewed
* Follow up mesa 8.0.3 piglit testing. Found some new (reproducible) gpu
lockup issues, so will be delaying the 8.0.3 sru
* Updated xdiagnose PCI ID database with latest chips (haswell, tegra,
northern/southern islands, etc. etc. chips)
* Assisted Jeff Lane in utilizing xdiagnose xorglog.py module for X
driver detection
* Engaging in further planning with kernel team for X stack update in
LTS point release
* some GNOME updates
* firefox, thunderbird bug fixing and updates

=== What's about to land that might impact the other teams and release
as a whole? ===

(Not all affecting other teams but worth noting)

* xorg 1.13
* compiz gsettings transition
* compiz gles transition
* unity coverflow and previews
* indicator-messages api transition
* web credential and webapp to be promoted (still through security review)
* new sync indicator
* libreoffice appmenu support

=== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ===

* None, focussing on the feature freeze

=== Dependencies on other teams to make deliverables, blocking items,
release wide concerns? ===

* What's the status of XDG_RUNTIME_DIR support from the foundation side?
Some of our component will become increasingly buggy until we get that
in place
* The dropping of unity-2d creates issues, especially on arm (still not
3d drivers for the pandaboard)
* No sign of the upstart improvements discussed at UDS (user session
jobs, logind integration, ...) ... what's the status on those? Not
really an issue for quantal itself but we should maybe re-question the
"stay on upstart" decision if we can't keep up with it