Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Evan Dandrea ev at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 10 15:32:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Ok.  How soon could we expect the fix for that bug to be rolled out?  Do I
> understand correctly that this can't be done quickly as a one-time query
> because the database structure needs to be updated first?

As mentioned out of band, this cannot be done quickly, but can be done
using the existing data we have. As with most everything else, no
client side changes are needed.

I had to first create a mapping back from individual crash reports to
the system identifiers. This took about 12 hours as we do not yet have
Hadoop up and running.

I've since written code to back-populate the per-release lists of
unique system identifiers so we can grab 90 days worth and then reduce
it down to the unique set after each day; however, in its current form
it's proving a bit much for the Cassandra nodes to handle. I've tuned
it to be a bit less aggressive (and thus slower), but the webops team
are currently fighting other fires and I'd prefer to have their full
attention should it start setting off their pagers again.

Matthew and Robert meanwhile have been discussing a more accurate
means of calculating the "if all updates were installed" lines. As
this still requires some mathematical verification, we're tabling that
particular feature of the website until we're more confident in our
approach.