Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 14:58:25 UTC 2012

Le 08/08/2012 16:31, Evan Dandrea a écrit :
>> - password prompts locking your screen because an error happened to a
>> service running with another user than yours
> Is this happening automatically, or after you click on something?

It usually happens when a process from another user hits an issue, e.g
start a guest session, closing it, you will like have one of those
showing in your session

>> - we don't know if users make the connection between the issue and those
>> dialogs (what if gedit hits an issue when closing it, then apport takes a
>> minute to process the datas and then you get a dialog ... by the time you
>> moved to something else and wonder wth you get a gedit error when you
>> stopped using it for a minute)
> If this is proving to be a problem, I'm sure we can find optimizations
> to apport in R. Let me know if it is.
I'm not sure how to figure it out, but for sure I see often delay here
between an issue and the dialog telling about it

>> That would be a good step indeed, we discussed that in the past but that's
>> not easy to do unfortunately and we didn't see so much progress on that
>> front so far but if somebody has good ideas how to do it in an reliable way,
>> or time to work on that, please let us know
> Can you elaborate on the discussion that's taken place around this idea?
>
> Could we not modify the session manager to write the graphical login
> and logout (started) time to disk? Then, if a crash occurs between the
> logout time and login time, we wait to report it until we have a crash
> that's after the login time.
Some work was done on the past in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/460932

from the bug

"so we reject a crash if:

- $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS exists, but we get a d-bus error when trying
to connect to it (shutting down session bus)
- org.gnome.SessionManager exists on the bus, but the call fails
- calling IsSessionRunning() returns false (being shut down)"

"    - Ignore a crash if gnome-session is running and says that the
session is
       being shut down. These often die because X.org or other services are
       going away, are usually harmless, and just cause a lot of clutter
in bug
       trackers. (LP: #460932 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/460932>)"

It seems that cut a number of those but doesn't cover all the cases, we
need somebody to sit down and look at the cases where it's still
happening and how we could cover them... (maybe just reject any issue
with a timestamp before the session start?)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher