Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 6 11:48:38 UTC 2012

Le 06/08/2012 13:04, Matthew Paul Thomas a écrit :

> - - It makes relaunching a crashed application much easier.
Right, most of the issues we get are with services and not applications
though
> - - From the next errors.ubuntu.com rollout, it will let release
> managers and other contributors see whether Ubuntu Q is more reliable
> than 12.04.
I never suggested turning of whoopsie in Q, so we will get metrics in Q
in any case. We have metrics from precise at release time and .1 time,
that should be good enough to know where Q stands. I don't think lacking
a metrics on 12.04.1 post .1 compared to Q is a big deal, the LTS
shouldn't change much, we want to know where Q stands though and we will
know since we will keep the system running for it.

> With previous versions of Ubuntu, windows would disappear or features
> would stop working, and people wouldn't know why. The only difference
> is that now the failure comes with an explanation. It would be best if
> the failure didn't occur at all, but if it does, it's better for it to
> be explained than to be mysterious.
That's again assuming that the errors we received are real bugs having
an user visible impact, it's true in some cases but I would challenge
that being the most frequent case, we have been looking at those errors
for 3 months and most of them are bugs reported against services, or
happening at session closing, or harmless exception uncaught in python
programs.

> Turning off error reporting would leave the release team ignorant
> about whether 12.10 is an improvement on 12.04. But this is not a
> release-team-specific question. It would make Ubuntu developers in
> general less productive, and it would make Ubuntu worse for end users.
The suggestion is to turn if off for 12.04.1, can you explain how it
prevents us to get metrics on 12.10?

> If you think there are ways the end-user presentation can be improved,
> I'm happy to take suggestions. Routing around that by asking the
> release team to disable it altogether is not cool.

Evan said that work was ongoing on "batching reports to submit several
together", that will be good. I don't think there is magical ways around
it otherwise, it's just that 10 bugs a week is too much errors dialog
popping up. The main concern is that only a small fraction of those are
user visible issue.

To take an example a non marginal number of issues happen on session
closing, they are due to the fact that our desktop session management is
not really good. That's a known issue, will not be fixed in the LTS (the
scope of the work is not appropriate for stable updates), and is
harmless ... still it means lot of users get a "system error happened"
dialog first thing after next login. That has a real cost in user
perception, the benefit we get back is null though ...

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher