Clarifying Unseeded Universe Freeze

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Sep 29 12:34:20 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:39:09 AM Iain Lane wrote:
> Heya,
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:36:09PM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> > Dear Ubuntu release team members,
> >
> >   On the #ubuntu-release IRC channel today the discussion of when
> >   should
> >
> > the unseeded universe freeze came up today. A proposal was made to
> > freeze it 36 hours before the final images are published.
> > […]
> > What do others think?   pro's/con's of moving from 5 days to 1.5 days?
>
> 1.5 days is fine for the hard freeze. As in after that we expect you to
> SRU stuff unless that isn't possible for some reason.
>
> I proposed that we make Final Freeze a bit earlier than that in order
> that we can get some people concentrating on fixing important bugs.
> For example ubuntuwire's rcbugs currently has some stuff we want.
>
> Maybe I'm using terminology a bit different, but I'm taking Unseeded
> Universe Final Freeze as "now we are only taking important fixes (as
> determined by the release team)" — basically all FFe after this point
> are nacked and deferred to P. Up until this date we are still in Feature
> Freeze as far as I understand it.

This is a good point.  I'm sure I'm as guilty as anyone about imprecision in
this.  The 1.5 day point (whatever we call it) is where I think the deadline
for the final planned upload.  In the past we have given a deadline for "only
important fixes".

Last time I think it was a day or two before.  I'm OK with that, but if you
want people to focus on something (e.g. RC bugs list), I think it's probably
better to evangelize working on that via IRC, mail lists, p.u.c, etc than to
expect having a rule that other things are allowed will reprioritize what
people do.  It will in some cases, but others will just stop and do something
else entirely.

Scott K