Clarifying Unseeded Universe Freeze

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 1 11:30:16 UTC 2011

Hiya,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 09:33:38AM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 14:04 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > Hello,
> > […]
> > ,----[ Universe final freeze policy ]-
> > | The Unseeded Universe Final Freeze will begin on yyyy-mm-dd at hh:mm
> > | UTC. After this time, all uploads to unseeded packages in universe and
> > | multiverse will need to be approved by the release team. Only uploads
> > | which fix important bugs (severity High or greater) will be considered.
>
> When the archive is frozen,  all fixes (including those in unseeded
> packages in universe) need to be reviewed for acceptance it doesn't just
> happen for the 12 hours possible post Unseeded Universe Freeze as
> outlined.

Currently these packages are still in Feature Freeze. I understand that
they need a manual push through the queue, but I don't expect detailed
reviews or any specific RT approval before the final freeze.

> After the Unseeded Universe Final Freeze, only those fixes requested by
> release team members will be accepted in.

Yep, that's the idea.

> > | Release team members will try to make themselves available on
> > | #ubuntu-motu for upload approval.
>
> Seems like a very good idea that the #ubuntu-motu be used to discuss the
> fixes being reviewed, and reserve #ubuntu-release for image creation
> issues.
>
> Release team's MOTU representative would be the logical "go to" person
> to identify for dicussions if something should go in our out.   I know
> that I and several other of the release team members directly involved
> in the last fixes and testing, won't have bandwidth for
> redirecting/dealing with the random queries about specific packages in
> this interval.

At least three of us on the RT hang around in #-motu regularly. We'll be
there to handle queries and proxy requests to the rest of the team. I
don't expect much leakage.

> > You may wish to consult the RC bugs
> > | list at
> > |
> > |   http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/bugs/rcbugs/
> > |
> > | when looking for important fixes that Oneiric does not yet have.
>
> Since alot of the ones on the list may also be in main,  does it make
> sense to stress again, only Unseeded Universe Bug fixes will be
> considered in this interval (since main has gone through Final Freeze)?

Could do.

> > | Consider prioritising important bugs from the sponsoring queue.
> > |
> > | The final deadline for uploads is 2011-10-09 12:00 UTC (approximately
> > | 1.5 days before release). Fixes for showstopper bugs may be accepted
> > | for 12 further hours after this, at the release team's discretion, but
> > | any other uploads should follow the Stable Release Update policy.
>
> 2011-10-11 at 12:00 UTC is 1.5 days ;)   Probably this should be made
> explicit in note, and left at 1.5 days in the Process page.

:-)

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]