[Desktop] Status 2011-12-02

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 2 09:29:20 UTC 2011

Full version online at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/ReleaseStatus

== What was done engineering wise? ==
 * Switched precise over to Rhythmbox, dropped banshee/gbrainy/totem/Mono from CDs.
 * More packages got DEP-8 autopkgtest control files now. We now have apport, jockey, upower, postgresql-common now.
 * Update our desktop packages (polkit, accountsservice, jockey, language-selector, etc.) for the admin → sudo group migration. This is now the new preferred "administrator" group, but admin should still be recognized for backwards compatibility (for eternity).
 * Multi-arch-ified GTK 3, so you can start multiarching plugins and dependencies.
 * Started looking into the LightDM KDE greeter: fixed build of the new liblightdm-qt, currently packaging the KDE greeter.
 * Wrote 107 manual Unity tests (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnityTests), fully functionally covering panel, launcher, dash and alt + tab. Some window management interaction is covered as well.

== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ==

 * We will soon switch to a GLib/Gtk development version (2.31.x / 3.3.x). We'll test this thoroughly, but it might cause some disruption.

== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items ==

 * Nothing right now.

== Release critical bugs ==

The most important one we are working on is #897680 "Precise Desktop 64Bit: libc6 fails to install if "install 3rd party software" is selected". This was believed to be fixed for alpha-1, but more duplicates reported. New from this week, TBI.

That's our only alpha-2 blocker, the rest are less important and there is not much progress on them (except for bug 786952 which is fixed now).