Proposed new release team member

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Thu Aug 25 21:12:38 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

+1 for adding you to the team.

I do have a follow-up question; though now that you know you're not being
graded on it, perhaps I should not expect an answer. ;)

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:58:34AM +0100, Dave Walker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 02:11:57AM +0200, Stefan Potyra wrote:
>> Considering, that an FFE is requested for a server/cloud-related library.
>> What would you check for the update?
>> What questions would you ask regarding the FFE?

> Probably one of the first things I think is reasonable to consider is
> impact on other flavours of Ubuntu, and with that possible issues it
> might cause for other developers outside the use case that is being
> addressed in the FFe.

> Is the Feature a shiny new toy, or something that is genuinely
> required for a good release?  The deeper into the cycle we progress,
> the higher the standards for the second element are to satisfy.

> In addition, a release team ack has the potential to cause instability
> and more work for others; which might not have been expecting this.
> This needs to be carefully communicated and managed to avoid surprises,
> and frustrations.

In addition to protecting *other* teams from the knock-on effects of feature
work, one of the purposes of Feature Freeze is to help the team itself make
the right trade-offs between ongoing feature development and bug fixing to
ensure *their* product has a high-quality release.  Even when a feature
getting an exception is rock-solid and doesn't introduce any regressions,
time spent implementing / landing that feature after FF is time not spent
fixing bugs.

As technical lead for the Ubuntu Server team, you'll be rather close to some
of the features for which your team is seeking freeze exceptions.  When a
feature misses Feature Freeze, how will you navigate the tension between
delivering features that are important to your team's roadmap, and the need
to focus on fixing bugs to keep release quality up?