FinalFreeze - implications on Universe?

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 15 16:40:11 UTC 2011

Hiya,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:12:32AM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:

> Dear release team members,
>
> Based on some discussions we've been having on the other Freezes, would
> like to see if there is consensus to make FinalFreeze[1], apply to
> Universe as well as main.
>
>    Right now the process states:
>
> "For packages in universe that aren't seeded in any of the Ubuntu
> flavors, this final freeze is nominal; packages must be manually
> accepted by the archive admins, but no additional approval is required."
>
> There's no timing on this,  but historically we've not been accepting
> into the archive after a certain point.
>
> What is "seeded" is also a bit ambiguous these days as well.
>
> So...
>
> 1) does it make sense to declare FinalFreeze to be freeze on all the
> archive?

On balance, I think Universe/unseeded/not-on-image probably benefits
from having the extra time to fix bugs, as its packages don't have such
an impact on the releasing process and often have lingering bugs that
get fixed pretty easily once attention is drawn to them.

We've had Final Freeze for unseeded *verse packages as about a week
later than the main one. After this point, uploads to these packages
must be to fix RC bugs (in Ubuntu or Debian where appropriate).
Historically we've had a bit of a run on the rcbugs page in this period,
with a friendly archive administrator on hand to press buttons and
release team member to approve requests (as all need to be approved
after the final freeze).  Some number (48?) hours before release we stop
completely and start updating via SRU instead.

> or
>
> 2) do we want a separate explicit universe Freeze (and be clearer what
> is ok to upload in the period between FinalFinal freeze, and this date)
>
> or
>
> 3)...

I think being more relaxed for non-image packages is worthwhile.
Splitting it into something else or updating the documentation might
make things clearer, so is probably welcome.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]