Clarifying Feature Freeze Definition

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Aug 12 03:13:05 UTC 2011

On Thursday, August 11, 2011 01:26:32 PM Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:17:22AM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> >    In asking around and after reading the documentation I'm hearing some
> >
> > varied opinions of what it actually means to feature freeze.  On reading
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze,  it seems to not be as specific
> > as needed.
>
> I'm basically in agreement with Scott here.
>
> Also, could you share some of the varied opinions you've been hearing?
> I think that generally folks on this list are roughly on the same page
> and we're all pretty near the centre of the information firehose, so we
> may not be in a good position to guess what confusion others are
> suffering from.

There was a discussion tonight about changes to build systems (e.g.
pycentral/pysupport to dh_python2 or cdbs to dh) and if they require an FFe.
I have always thought they did, but at least one developer was suprised.

IMO fixing a broken build system is one thing, redesigning it post-FF is
another (I've already uploaded on fix to the archive for a package that was
uploaded and built an empty package due to a faulty dh_python2 transition).

This should probably be clarified.

Scott K