Clarifying Feature Freeze Definition

Kate Stewart kate.stewart at canonical.com
Fri Aug 5 19:50:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 14:24 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday, August 05, 2011 12:17:22 PM Kate Stewart wrote:
> > Dear Release Team members, and others interested,
> >
> >    In asking around and after reading the documentation I'm hearing some
> > varied opinions of what it actually means to feature freeze.  On reading
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze,  it seems to not be as specific
> > as needed.
> >
> > "At this point we stop introducing new features, packages, and APIs, and
> > concentrate on fixing bugs in the development release."
> >
> > My expectation is that the freeze is for all main packages, and seeded
> > universe packages.
>
> As Micah mentioned, this has applied to the entire archive.  We've gone
> through iterations with different Main/Universe freezes and separate freezes
> for New versions/New packages/New features and after much experimentation
> concluded that one "Feature Freeze" was the least confusing approach.

Agreed.  Wasn't sure of the back story, and if this is the approach
folks are comfortable with,  that's good.

> > In WIKI it states:  "For the purpose of the FeatureFreeze, the upload
> > date matters, i. e. all packages which are in the NEW queue by that time
> > will be processed without the need for an exception."
> >
> > So my question areas are:
> >
> > 1)  Is everyone comfortable with this comfortable with using upload date
> > and NEW queue?   How long after it being in the NEW queue does it need
> > to be processed by?   I think we need to aim for them all to be
> > processed within the week, but would like to hear what's reasonable from
> > the AAs.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it.  With limited exceptions, the ability of New
> pacakges to cause regressions in the archive is minimal.  The primary purpose
> of freezing New package acceptance is to reduce AA workload so the people
> tasked with this work have more time for other tasks as we get closer to
> release.  I also think that if something drags out a really long time and it
> gets to the point where it's problematic, AAs are experienced enough to know
> this and discuss it before accepting.  I don't think the release team needs to
> explicitly track this.

I thought I remembered some grumbles in the Natty timeframe, which is
why I was wondering if it made sense to have a goal of all the NEWs
processed within a week, but would have to dig to see if its a false
memory or not.  Its more a question of setting reasonable expectations
rather than something to track.   I'll monitor it a little bit closer
this time around, and if there are things dragging on over a week, we
can figure out what's reasonable for next cycle, discuss at UDS.

One thing I'm worried about is the workload on the AAs at this point in
the cycle.

> > 2) if a package is rejected just before FF due to a technicality,  does
> > it need a FFE exception after?   What consititutes a technicality?
>
> If something is in queue at FF and is rejected after FF due to a serious
> defect we have processed such packages when re-uploaded after FF without FFe.
> I think this is reasonable.  I think it's reasonable to process packages
> rejected shortly before FF the same way.

What is an example of a serious defect?  also how long after do you
consider it ok to accept without a FFE.    I'm thinking that within a
week of FFE is ok,  but the day before we freeze for beta seems a bit
questionable to me.  :)

> OTOH, is someone uploads 20 new
> packages the day before FF and most of them have to be rejected, I'm probably
> going to suggest they are too late and should wait for the next cycle and do a
> better job.

agreed in general,  caveat would be if its pre-cleared and is considered
a release priority.  I'm thinking about some of Daviey's comments today
about what's landing for Server...

> Once again, I don't think the release team needs to manage this
> very closely.  If there's a question/problem any AA can bring it to the
> release team.  IIRC, in the past, we've done FFe for packages rejected before
> FF, but it was really easy to get an FFe in that situation (as long as it was
> shortly after FF).
>
> > 3) by feature freeze, all new images for the manifest should be building
> > daily images?  (I consider a new hardware platform as a feature ;) ).
>
> I think this makes sense.  Put slightly differently, any new images after FF
> would need an FFe from the release team.

Yes that's a better way to phrase it.

> > 4) anything else others have been finding unclear?
>
> The only thing that I'm aware of (which I still totally don't understand how
> it was unclear) was last cycle someone thinking U/I changes didn't count as
> features.  If we haven't made it really clear that all feature changes need
> FFe and U/I Freeze is the time after which ALL U/I changes need review (not
> the feature deadline for U/I) then we need to.  I thought it was perfectly
> clear before, so I'm not the right person to judge if it's clear enough now.

I'll go back and look at this, and see if I can figure out a way to
improve the clarity.   Possible scenario is a feature is already present
and has been since before FF, but the defaults affecting what's
visible/behaviour change.  ie. config bit changes, but all features are
present.

> > Would like to get some concensus,  and then broadcast this so the
> > expectations are clear with the development community too.
>
> I would caution you against trying to make the rules too specific.  They should
> be parameters to which people should apply judgement.  If you make them too
> specific, then people will start asking like rules lawyers and try to figure out
> a way to interpret the words to mean they can do what they want.

Fair enough.

Reviewing my notes from Natty,  the other area that would be good to get
input on is what is the last cutoff point for a compiler/interpretter
toolchain (gcc, eglibc, binutils or python, java, etc.) bug fix.   We
had a bit of churn and angst from that in Natty.  Is it reasonable to
make sure any bug fix for the toolchain packages goes through a FFE
after beta 1?

Kate