Proposed use of maverick-updates for Linaro release staging

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 24 08:30:04 BST 2010

Hello Steve,

we already spoke about this, I just have some small comments, and want
to reply for the purpose of a paper trail.

Steve Langasek [2010-09-24  0:07 -0700]:
>   Mon, October 25:   UDS begins.
>
>   Wed, October 27:   Freeze of the maverick-proposed queue.

So you plan to have some extensive Linaro work during UDS? If this is
doable, then this sounds nice, since a lot of the devs are at UDS, and
thus the flow of SRUs will slown down anyway.

> No further uploads are accepted without coordination with the Linaro
> release manager

How deeply do you intend to freeze the queue? By and large allow no
other SRUs, or that we allow general Ubuntu SRUs as long as they are
either completely unrelated to Linaro (i. e. not shipped on the
images), or are relevant for Linaro as well, and we can be sure that
we can verify them quickly?

>   Thu, November  4:  All maverick SRUs to be included in the Linaro images
> are verification-done and promoted to maverick-updates.

That gives us just 8 days to build and verify everything, so that's
not a lot of slack. However, since you have the fallback of building
from -updates only, this sounds okay to me.

> The total length of the maverick-proposed freeze would be 12 days.

That will stall quite a lot of general Ubuntu SRUs, since it's still
close to the final 10.10 release, but 12 days sounds acceptable to me,
with the possible exceptions below:

> In any case, the Linaro team would be happy to accomodate requests
> from the SRU team for exceptions to this proposed freeze; we're
> mostly just asking for coordination to prevent any disruptions to
> the image mastering.

> Does this sound like a workable plan?

Sounds fine to me.

For the record, I'll be on Plumber's the week after UDS, so I can't
help a lot with SRU coordination in the week from Nov 1 to 7. I'll try
to squeeze in some review time, though.

Martin