Launchpad Permissions

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Nov 2 02:36:06 GMT 2010

On Monday, October 25, 2010 12:36:49 pm Brian Murray wrote:
> I've been looking around at permissions in Launchpad recently and one
> thing that I've discovered is that we are not using the "Release
> manager" role in Launchpad isn't being used very effectively.
>
> One ability that the Release manager role has is the ability to approve,
> or decline, bug nominations for a particular release.  The way we, or
> some of us, are currently able to manage nominations is due to our
> membership in the ubuntu-drivers team which is the Project driver for
> the series and the Project driver for Ubuntu.

I don't seem to be a member of this team (directly or indirectly) that I can
tell.  IIRC any ubuntu-dev can accept or reject nominations for any package
they can upload.  I think this is appropriate as this is one of the key
controls for what's officially on the "work list" for the release.

> Instead I propose that a release management team, if there isn't one
> already, be created in Launchpad and they be made the Release manager
> for each Ubuntu series when it is created.  The release management team
> should likely also include Canonical Platform QA team members who have
> used nominated approval as an escalation path in the past.  This would
> then allow us to remove people who need to the ability to manage
> nominations from the ubuntu-drivers team - which grants a lot of other
> powers.

Having the release team have to approve bug task nominations would be a
significant narrowing of that authority and would drive up workload on the
release team for little purpose.  I have not seen a lot of problems due to
developers accepting nominiations they shouldn't.

I do object to people getting access to a role in Ubuntu based on who pays
their pay check.  I think it's reasonable to have a team of trusted non-
developers who are able to perform this function, but it should be open to
anyone who meets appropriate criteria.  In my experience getting a paycheck
from Canonical does not confer particular bug management expertise.

> As I'm not subscribed to the list please include me in your replies.

Scott K