growing ubuntu-release (and/or) leveraging the pressure on ubuntu-release

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Aug 21 02:05:06 BST 2010

Hi,

one step we haven't done yet for maverick is to design delegates. Imho that
would certainly ease a bit of the pressure on ubuntu-release, as we can then
just defer tasks where we know that release management is handled better by
the teams most fit for the task in question. (sorry, I haven't had time to
take care of this for maverick before FF, and probably won't have too much
spare time to take care to get it implemented this time).

What's not clear to me yet is under what circumstances persons are added to
ubuntu-relesae. For motu-release, we had the process that a call to the
mailing list was made to request new members and that any other MOTU could
give a +1 on the application. If it was agreed on after a specific waiting
period, the nomination was final, and the person was added [1].

I'm not too sure if the aforementioned process would be suitable for
ubuntu-release as well.

In retrospect a thing that I missed during the merge of motu-release and
ubuntu-release would have been some advice about the changes and new
responsibilities. Looking at Debian's process about ftp-master and
ftp-trainees, a process like that might solve that problem, where a new
member is first handhold for some time.

So all in all: I'm completely unsure about the best process, and I'm likewise
unsure what the way of decision wrt. new members is, However I'm quite sure
that adding the possibility to have people from the community join in would
be good.

Cheers,
  Stefan.
--
[1]: straight from my memory. There must be documents in the wiki, but I can't
find any right now.