Lubuntu 20.04 testing feedback

EdLesMann edlesmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 02:42:10 UTC 2020

Greetings,

I thought I'd pass along a bit of feed back. I will start with the easy one.

I tested the 20200413 daily live focal-desktop-amd64.iso on the MS
Surface Pro2. Not only could I _not_ find a problem with it, I was SO
impressed by how much better and responsive it was vs 18.04 (the OS
previously installed). The detachable keyboard was sometimes
hit-and-miss on if it would work on 18.04, but no matter how or what I
tried I couldn't get it to fail with the 20.04 beta. I'm really
impressed! Thank you and congratulations to all involved.

The more interesting one is an HP 14-dq1033ci. I initially started with
this iso: lubuntu-20.04-beta-desktop-amd64.iso . I found two things
wrong that were not an issue on 19.10 but I think both are driver
related and I'm not sure where to report a bug for them.

1. There was SERIOUS video tearing whenever there was any kind of
movement on the screen. However, after today's intel-media-va-driver
update to 19.4.0r+dsfg1-1 (at least, I'm guessing at this because it was
the only thing that even semi-related package that makes sense), the
vast majority of the tearing went away. If I click and hold the title of
a window and move it around really fast, I can see it a little bit. And
there are a few icons when I hover over them there will be a line
through the icon until the next refresh, but there was SIGNIFICANT
improvement after today's update. I did check, and I have all the
relevant Intel driver packages (that I know about anyway) so I don't
think I'm missing anything. I just never saw this kind of screen tear
with this laptop using 19.10.

2. The web cam no longer works at all. If I start any program (such as
Cheese), it is just a black screen. Shortly after boot this error below
is in dmesg. To be honest, I've not had time to really research the
issue so it could be something trivial on my end, but I thought I'd
report it tonight since I've done a lot of testing yesterday and today. :-)

[    3.176709] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity Extension 4 was
not initialized!
[    3.176712] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity Extension 3 was
not initialized!
[    3.176714] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity Processing 2 was
not initialized!
[    3.176716] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity Camera 1 was not
initialized!
[    3.176807] input: HP TrueVision HD Camera: HP Tru as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input13

Overall, I'm SUPER impressed and VERY appreciative of all the hard work
that people have put into this release. It looks like it is easily the
best release yet! (and since I tend to jump LTS to LTS, I've even more
excited about how great this beta has been in my testing!)

Thank you all!
~S~