Question about backporting a fix for a Guake bug to Bionic

Robert Matusewicz matekm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 20:25:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm new in Ubuntu world and I need advice on how to proceed with a bugfix
for Guake package. There is a bug #1760621 [1]. It's about Guake freezing
when libutemper is not installed on the system and user tries to close a
tab. From what I see, the bug is present in only one supported release:
Bionic - in later releases that issue was fixed in a package that is
provided with that release.

I want to backport a fix from upstream (I mean Guake repository, not
Debian) into Bionic because I think it's a big issue for Guake users on
Bionic. My questions are:

1. is it worth to start SRU procedure for a bugfix that fixes that freeze?
As I never worked on any bugfixes in Ubuntu, I'm not sure what are the
procedures and criteria to accept such bugfix

2. Should that bugfix be forwarded to Debian first, and then Ubuntu?

3. In upstream, the bug was fixed in 3.0.6 release and that release
contained only that one fix. Is it fine to copy the 3.0.6 tag and then
prepare a package guake_3.0.6-1ubuntu1? Or, it still should be
guake_3.0.5-1ubuntu1?

Sorry if those question are too obvious or were answered somewhere on the
wiki. I searched, but the amount of information is a bit overwhelming and
it's hard to filter through all the data!

Best regards,
Robert Matusewicz

[1] https://bugs.laaunchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/guake/+bug/1760621
[2] http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/fixing-a-bug.html