Ubuntu 19.04 lacks OpenJDK 8 (because upstream deleted it?)

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 21:51:45 UTC 2019

Hi Robert, list;

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 9:37 AM Robert E. Young <robert.e.young at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a package maintainer or anything, but it makes sense to me to
> drop support in a non-LTS release leading up to 20.04. Since 18.04 is
> supported until 2023, this aligns pretty well with dropping support for
> a software that is EOL in 2022. It's not always what we want to hear,
> but if you require long-term supported software, you should probably
> stay on a long-term supported release. I would continue to ping
> Launchpad to see if anyone creates a PPA for openjdk-8. If you are so
> inclined, you could be the one that maintains it (not something I know
> how to do, but maybe you do).

With respect, it doesn't make any sense to drop support for Java 8
considering that so many things don't work yet with Java 11 which is the
next long-term release.

There is an openjdk8 ppa for various versions of Java but it hasn't been
yet updated beyond 18.10.  I've messaged the admins, but so far no response.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.