Converting lp:ubuntu-qa-tools from bzr to git

Steve Beattie sbeattie at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 5 15:42:38 UTC 2017

Hi Nick,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 09:53:31AM -0400, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
> I suspect people might be more in favor of git vs bzr. You'd have to
> update all the documentation links,

Sure, happy to do that. I don't think there's a lot to update on
the wiki, at least based on an initial search I made, as it's not
a particularly widely used tree. Pointers to specific documentation
you're thinking of that I may have overlooked would be helpful.

> but everything could stay on launchpad.

Yes, I'm merely proposing to change the VCS tool used, not where
it's hosted or anything like that. It would still live on launchpad
at lp:ubuntu-qa-tools[0].

> What's your motivation for the change?

A couple of reasons:

 * For better or worse, the wider open source community has generally
   coalesced around git as the most commonly used VCS tool. Outsiders
   coming in to the Ubuntu community who are interested in contributing
   drive-by or more frequent improvements are more likely to be
   familiar with git than bzr. Sticking with bzr over git is just
   keeping another minor hurdle to potential contributors in place.

 * The ubuntu-qa-tools tree is one of the VCS trees that the Ubuntu
   Security Team interacts with a lot[1], and we're gradually trying
   to move to git as our primary VCS tool.

Thanks!

[0] Assuming you set up the lp: alias as described in
    https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git.

[1] Looking at the history of the tree,
    http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/ubuntu-qa-tools/master/changes
    the majority of recent commits to it are from current or former
    members of the security team.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>